The Grossmarkt Stuttgart was opened on 1st April 1957 in Stuttgart Wangen. Originally planned and built as a supply unit for Stuttgart and the region, the Grossmarkt currently supplies the entire state of Baden-Württemberg with agricultural and horticultural products
Other companies in the food industry settled in the surroundings of the Grossmarkt – together they stand for the „Freshness Centre of the South-west“. The motivation of the people working here is the guarantee for continuously improving development of the Grossmarkt Stuttgart, making it currently the third largest location for movement of fresh product goods in Germany.
The Stuttgart Grossmarkt is organised by Märkte Stuttgart GmbH, which was formerly the Ministry for Markets. The company Märkte Stuttgart GmbH offers an environment for privately organised trade. Märkte Stuttgart GmbH provides the area and the infrastructure as well as security and cleanliness. The market administration has developed from a government-operated system to a service company in the meantime.